FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Janet Sanders / Marketing Manager
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 27, 2020
GET Board Approves Purchase of Driver Shields
At the May 19, 2020 GET Board meeting the Board approved spending up to $160,000 to retrofit 88 buses with polycarbonate shields to protect drivers from COVID-19 and other intrusions such as flying objects that can be easily transferred through close contact. GET continues to be an essential service during this pandemic, so we are always exploring new ways to add to the precautions we are taking to protect our passengers and employees. Transit systems across the United States have installed similar driver shields and, GET made the decision to prioritize ordering and installing the shields since we are continuing to provide an essential transit services to our community.
Additional precautions include:
- Providing bus operators with wipes, gloves, disinfectant and hand sanitizer.
- Requiring that passengers ride with an appropriate amount of distance between each other to maintain the recommended social distance. The bus is limited to 15 passengers at a time.
- Deploying shadow buses on busier routes as needed, to pick up the extra passengers.
- Encouraging passengers wear cloth masks when riding and while out in public.
- Cleaning all bus interiors more frequently.
- Educating all staff about prevention measures, including best practices to maintaining social distancing.
- Encouraging employees and passengers to wash hands frequently, use sanitizers and to stay home if they feel ill.
GET was formed in July 1973 and is the primary public transportation provider for the Bakersfield Urbanized Area. It is the largest public transit system within a 110-mile radius. The District’s legal boundary includes Bakersfield city limits as well as adjacent unincorporated areas. GET has a fleet of 88 compressed natural gas buses equipped with wheelchair lifts and bike racks. GET serves 16 routes, operating 7 days a week and transporting more than 6 million passengers each year with its fixed-route buses. In addition, GET operates 25 compressed natural gas GET-A-Lift buses and 7 microtransit RYDE shuttles. For more information, visit www.getbus.org or call 869.2GET (2438).